It’s probably no surprise that I like wheat germ. It has all those things that appeal to me — easy, healthy, you can bounce really high on it. Wait. I’m thinking of a trampoline.
At any rate, the Kretschmer people keep me advised of All Things Wheat Germy so I wanted to pass along their fun Facebook promotion.
Visit the Kretschmer Facebook page and vote for the summer recipe you’d most like to see transformed into a healthier dish using wheat germ. The winning recipe will be featured on the MyWheatGerm.com blog and anyone who votes will be entered to win a $250 gift card to Target stores. Everybody who enters will also receive a coupon for $3 off a jar of Kretschmer Wheat Germ to try the recipes.
They’ve given me a list of tips to pass along from Kretschmer Wheat Germ Nutritional Advisor, Elizabeth Fassberg, RD on how to use wheat germ to stay healthy. Their website has a helpful Substitution Guide showing how to swap wheat germ for other ingredients in your favorite foods like pizza, key lime pie and burgers. Reduced guilt! Added nutrition! Easy swaps!
From the Kretschmer folks …
Are you trying to lose weight and stay healthy this summer? Here’s how wheat germ can help:
1. Sprinkle it on your breakfast yogurt and fruit parfait or add it to your smoothie. Wheat germ has fiber so it helps you stay full longer.
2. Working out can help you lose weight—making sure you have snack before you work out that combines protein, fat and carbohydrates will help you to have a better workout. Sprinkling wheat germ on a banana with peanut butter, not only gives you added energy, it contributes a combo of protein, heart healthy poly-unsaturated fat and carbs.
3. It’s important to cut back on calories when trying to lose weight. But sometimes we also cut back on nutrients that our body needs. Wheat germ is nutrient dense and not calorie dense and contains essential nutrients such as vitamin E, magnesium, phosphorous, zinc, iron, B vitamins, thiamin and folic acid, and it’s only 50 calories for 2 tablespoons.
4. When trying to lose weight sometimes we think it’s necessary to give up food that tastes good! Wheat germ added to food gives it a nutty, crunchy delicious flavor. You can use it in salads, any of your grains and as a substitute for bread crumbs in many recipes.
5. Although it may seem like skipping meals would help you to lose weight, it doesn’t help! Getting overly hungry can cause you to binge and eat the wrong foods. Wheat germ is easily portable, you can pack it in a sealable baggie and pour it over your food to make it more calorie and nutrient dense so you stay satisfied longer and don’t eat the wrong foods.
What’s your favorite way to use wheat germ? I like to mix it in yogurt and sprinkle it on cereal. And no, the wheat germ lobby doesn’t pay me anything. Although, seriously, would it kill ‘em?